For more than three decades, Grammy and Emmy nominated guitarist, composer and producer David Becker has continued to define himself as one of the best and most unique voices in jazz and contemporary music by combining diverse influences and a passion for the new and different, and his ability to play for the present while always keeping an eye on the past and future. He has led the critically acclaimed DAVID BECKER TRIBUNE to a worldwide audience by performing in more than 30 countries.
Over the years, the DBT has shared the stage with such celebrated jazz acts as Miles Davis, Chick Corea, Michael Brecker and many more. German television journalist Roger Willemsen (ZDF) called him “One of the best Jazz guitarists ever.” Jazz Podium and Downbeat called him “A poet on the Jazz Guitar.” Jazz Thing and Gitarre & Bass called him” a virtuoso”. David has released 15 recordings many topping the jazz and contemporary music charts. The DBT has performed at some of the most prestigious venues throughout the world including London’s BARBICON CENTRE, Rotterdam’s DE DOELEN, New York’s MADISON SQUARE GARDEN and BIRDLAND. The DBT has also appeared at several international jazz festivals including The Monterey Jazz Festival.
David Becker graduated from Musicians Institute in 1981 at age 19 and by age 22 he was touring the globe with the David Becker Tribune. David signed with MCA records in 1986 and the first DBT release LONG PETER MADSEN debuted. SIBERIAN EXPRESS (#1 R&R) followed in 1988 and the DBT established themselves in the world of Contemporary Jazz performing in 44 of the 50 US states.
In 2005, Becker released a duo effort with guitar master Joe Diorio, THE COLOR OF SOUND. The CD was called “One of the best Guitar duo recordings of all time.” LEAVING ARGENTINA from 2007 received high praise by the international press. Down Beat gave it “4 Stars” and the BBC said, “Brilliant musicianship, a really lovely album, in fact.” David’s music has been played on radio and television around the globe including ARD, The Weather Channel, Voice of America, XM and Sirius Radio, NPR, Europa Plus, and AEI In-Flight Entertainment.
David Becker has also performed with guitar greats such as Attila Zoller, Larry Coryell, John Abercrombie and Kenny Burrell. He has released three instructional books: GETTING YOUR IMPROVISING INTO SHAPE (Mel Bay/Acoustic Music), PLAYING IN SHAPES (FingerPrint) and RHYTHMIC MOTIFS FOR COMPING AND SOLOING (FingerPrint). His books have been top sellers and received great reviews all over the globe. The books are available in English and German. He has performed master classes and workshops at some of the most prestigious Music Conservatories and Universities around the world.
With the release of the highly personal and critically acclaimed recording BATAVIA in 2010, Becker crossed the border of musician and has become an advocate for the forgotten WW II Dutch POW’s in Indonesia. BATAVIA was ranked as one of the top 10 World Music recordings of 2010, and continues to receive praise around the globe. The DBT has continued to perform the songs live to further tell the forgotten stories of the POW’s which included his family.
Additional projects for 2013/2014 included the TODD WALLIN PROJECT/featuring DAVID BECKER, which David produced and co-composed many of the tracks. The single, “Spring Fling” received steady airplay. And the critically acclaimed DBT release DISTANCE TRAVELED which made it into the CMJ Jazz top 20.
In 2015, The Heritage DAVID BECKER – Signature model guitar was unveiled at NAMM. Two new recording projects were released. A solo outing THE LONELY ROAD (Acoustic Music Records) and a tribute to Attila Zoller, MESSAGE TO ATTILA(ENJA) which also features Ron Carter, Pat Metheny, Mike Stern, John Abercrombie, Peter Bernstein and more.
Also in 2015, a new David Becker instructional video, TRANSITIONS TO JAZZ was released by True Fire and has been in the top 10 most popular videos since its release. THE LONELY ROAD reached #30 on the iTunes Instrumental top 100 charts and was called, “One of the best solo guitar CD’s available today.” (Amazon UK)
In June of 2018, the DBT released a new studio recording single of KIWI DREAMS written for their 2016 Tour of New Zealand. David also teamed up with renowned guitarist Brad Rabuchin (Ray Charles) to record a tribute album for guitarist John Abercrombie.
FOR JOHN was released in June 2019 and has been receiving great praise around the globe.
SELECTED JAZZ FESTIVAL APPEARANCES:
- Queen Mary Jazz Festival – Long Beach, CA
- Monterey Jazz Festival – Monterey, CA
- Central California Jazz Festival, Paso Robles, CA
- La Plata Jazz Festival – La Plata, Argentina
- CBA Jazz Festival – Cordoba, Argentina
- Buenos Aires Jazz Festival – Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Saulkrasti Jazz Festival – Saulkrasti, Latvia
- Jazz op den Berg Festival – Heist op den Berg, Belgium
- Hildener Jazz Tage – Hilden, Germany
- Potsdam Jazz Festival – Potsdam, Germany
- Stuttgart Jazz Open – Stuttgart, Germany
- Wuppertaler Jazz Meeting – Wuppertal, Germany
- Robert Norman Festival – Sarpsborg, Norway
- Ambon Jazz Festival – Ambon, Indonesia
- Attila Zoller Festival – Visegrad, Hungary
REPRESENTATIVE LIST OF MASTER CLASSES:
- University of North Texas, Denton, TX
- University of the Arts, Philadelphia, PA
- University of Louisville – Louisville, KY
- USC Thornton School of Music – Los Angeles, CA
- Music Tech College – St. Paul, MN
- California Jazz Conservatory – Berkeley, CA
- Cal State University Northridge – Northridge, CA
- Musicians Institute – Hollywood, CA
- Los Angeles College of Music – Pasadena, CA
- The Frank Sinatra School of the Arts – Queens, NY
- Las Vegas Academy of the Performing Arts – Las Vegas, NV
- Long Beach Polytechnic High School – Long Beach, CA
- Grove School of Music – Van Nuys, CA
- MAINZ – Auckland, New Zealand
- National Guitar Summer Workshop – Lakeside, CT
- Strathclyde University – Glasgow, Scotland
- The London Music School – London, UK
- Musik Conservatorium, Maastricht, The Netherlands
- BORG Kunst Hochschule – Linz, Austria
- Musik Hochschule – Bremen, Germany
- Musik Hochschule – Köln, Germany
- Jazz & Rock Schule – Freiburg, Germany
- The Future Music School – Aschaffenburg, Germany
- Academy of Contemporary Music – Zurich, Switzerland
- CMCN – Nancy, France
- Musikk Instrument Akademiet – Sarpsborg, Norway